Well it has now been two weeks since I registered to stand in the local elections and it is very new experience.
Try writing about yourself. It is not nearly as easy as you imagine, you need to sell yourself as worthy of the voters vote and yet not sound like you think yourself superior. You need to talk about your experience but not sound like you are belittling other people standing or re-standing.
You need to have your photo taken as a bad photo is not going to attract attention - a problem if like me you are not photogenic. I have seen more terrible photos of me in the local paper than I care to admit. Several chins, squinty eyes, red cheeks, twice my normal body size depicted, I have experienced them all and the photographer always tells me it is the wide angle lens. I say then use a normal lens that makes me tall and thin, let the camera lie I don't mind I just hate the wide angle lens.
I have started a facebook page and had flyers printed, billboards printed and erected, flyers delivered and started attending events and activities that attract plenty of people so I can approach them with my flyer and introduce myself.
Facebook Page
I am happy with the photo but seeing yourself up on a billboard looking down is a bit weird.
It is quite sad that so few women in Masterton have chosen to put themselves forward. We had four women on the district council, two have chosen to retire so are not restanding and no new women have come forward. So assuming the two restanding get re-elected we will only have two women to represent 50% of the community, against nine men elected to make up the total council of eleven.
It puts enormous pressure on those two women to try and represent views of women and to also be representing the public at large. And they say women in NZ were the first in the world to have the vote - what happened?
One of those women is also be really gutsy and standing for Mayor. If successful she will be the first female Mayor of Masterton - she has my vote, not only because she is a woman but because she is the hardest working current councillor and a person with passion for life and a social conscience.
There are three other women standing for election to local trusts, me included in that number but that will not effect our day to day lives as much as few women on the district council. I started with a local trust as I thought it was a good place to learn the business of politics, the business of governance at a higher level and the most critical aspect which is consultation.
Listen to this youtube it is so inspiring. Maybe you will stand next time, you have three years to plan for it.
Alice Walker on Democratic Womanism
Try writing about yourself. It is not nearly as easy as you imagine, you need to sell yourself as worthy of the voters vote and yet not sound like you think yourself superior. You need to talk about your experience but not sound like you are belittling other people standing or re-standing.
You need to have your photo taken as a bad photo is not going to attract attention - a problem if like me you are not photogenic. I have seen more terrible photos of me in the local paper than I care to admit. Several chins, squinty eyes, red cheeks, twice my normal body size depicted, I have experienced them all and the photographer always tells me it is the wide angle lens. I say then use a normal lens that makes me tall and thin, let the camera lie I don't mind I just hate the wide angle lens.
I have started a facebook page and had flyers printed, billboards printed and erected, flyers delivered and started attending events and activities that attract plenty of people so I can approach them with my flyer and introduce myself.
Facebook Page
I am happy with the photo but seeing yourself up on a billboard looking down is a bit weird.
It is quite sad that so few women in Masterton have chosen to put themselves forward. We had four women on the district council, two have chosen to retire so are not restanding and no new women have come forward. So assuming the two restanding get re-elected we will only have two women to represent 50% of the community, against nine men elected to make up the total council of eleven.
It puts enormous pressure on those two women to try and represent views of women and to also be representing the public at large. And they say women in NZ were the first in the world to have the vote - what happened?
One of those women is also be really gutsy and standing for Mayor. If successful she will be the first female Mayor of Masterton - she has my vote, not only because she is a woman but because she is the hardest working current councillor and a person with passion for life and a social conscience.
There are three other women standing for election to local trusts, me included in that number but that will not effect our day to day lives as much as few women on the district council. I started with a local trust as I thought it was a good place to learn the business of politics, the business of governance at a higher level and the most critical aspect which is consultation.
Listen to this youtube it is so inspiring. Maybe you will stand next time, you have three years to plan for it.
Alice Walker on Democratic Womanism

No comments:
Post a Comment