It has been so interesting to watch how the local newspaper the Wairarapa Times Age has played out the Mayoral challenge to date. Bearing in mind one of the candidates works there as a sports reporter.
Last week the Mayoral candidates for Masterton and the candidates for the rural, at large and urban candidates, were asked to respond to three questions and their responses limited to 100 words would be published for the benefit of the voting public. The incumbent Mayor wrote his response which appeared to have been published without editing as it was 104 words, the other male standing for mayoral election and as I said an employee of the paper had nearly his full quota printed. But then we came to the only female candidate who supplied 100 words to the paper but after their editing had only 54 words printed and whats more was the last candidate of the three to be printed, so her response was buried in the page of printing. And they say this is an unbiased approach to reporting!!!
What is more sickening is the next day the editor printed a full column of challenges to all candidates standing for council, to send in their views and they would be published. So as a good keen marketing woman she did just that, reported her views on the sudden announcement by Air New Zealand to withdraw our Masterton to Auckland daily service in February. Did it get printed? Did it hell.
As the only woman standing for Masterton Trust Lands Trust I sent in a letter to the editor on the same subject. To date my letters and media releases have always been used, however, it seems I may be in for the same treatment as my letter has failed to make the paper. There has been times when they have contacted me for comment as they are needing editorial and a few times I have given them a lead but suddenly it seems my popularity has taken a nose dive. I wonder if they think I am supporting the female candidate?? Are they threatened by women candidates or just part of the "old boys club" pulling together.
I did get a bit of plug this week when all candidates were invited to join a lunchtime ukelele concert as part of Adult Learners Week.
Ukelele Orchestra for Adult Learners Week
Last week the Mayoral candidates for Masterton and the candidates for the rural, at large and urban candidates, were asked to respond to three questions and their responses limited to 100 words would be published for the benefit of the voting public. The incumbent Mayor wrote his response which appeared to have been published without editing as it was 104 words, the other male standing for mayoral election and as I said an employee of the paper had nearly his full quota printed. But then we came to the only female candidate who supplied 100 words to the paper but after their editing had only 54 words printed and whats more was the last candidate of the three to be printed, so her response was buried in the page of printing. And they say this is an unbiased approach to reporting!!!
What is more sickening is the next day the editor printed a full column of challenges to all candidates standing for council, to send in their views and they would be published. So as a good keen marketing woman she did just that, reported her views on the sudden announcement by Air New Zealand to withdraw our Masterton to Auckland daily service in February. Did it get printed? Did it hell.
As the only woman standing for Masterton Trust Lands Trust I sent in a letter to the editor on the same subject. To date my letters and media releases have always been used, however, it seems I may be in for the same treatment as my letter has failed to make the paper. There has been times when they have contacted me for comment as they are needing editorial and a few times I have given them a lead but suddenly it seems my popularity has taken a nose dive. I wonder if they think I am supporting the female candidate?? Are they threatened by women candidates or just part of the "old boys club" pulling together.
I did get a bit of plug this week when all candidates were invited to join a lunchtime ukelele concert as part of Adult Learners Week.
Ukelele Orchestra for Adult Learners Week

No comments:
Post a Comment