Oh since Friday, Marlborough and Wellington have been experiencing earthquakes which I have not felt. Until 5.09 tonight, I was in the bathroom washing the garden dirt of my hands when the floor started to roll, I stood frozen to the spot, then realised it was an earthquake. Shot out calling to my other half and found him standing on the front deck watching our truck parked in the carport swaying from side to side. Then we looked at the future pond container which is full of water and that was spilling out with the motion. It seemed to go on for ages. Half an hour later it was on the web as a 6.9 quake only 19 kilometres deep off Seddon in the top of the south island. Wellington has suffered window breakages, concrete fractured and stock on shelves thrown to the floor.
I hope this the last of them, it really is not a pleasant experience. I went through many earthquakes as a kid but somehow as a child you find it exhilarating, as an older wiser adult it is the feeling of lack of control over your environment that is so scary - the feeling of vulnerability.
Earthquake at 5.09 Sunday
Despite the earthquake the day has been beautiful weatherwise. Sunny and warm and so I took advantage of it to clean out the strawberry bed and add manure. I also bought three more fruit trees for the orchard.
I am listening to audio books - Ladies of Letters with Prunella Scales and Patricia Routledge. Penpals who are scathing of each other in such a "friendly" way.
Last night the other half and I went to see "The Great Gatsby" movie. I have no idea what the reviewers say about it, and I like a chick flick love story, however, it was one of the longest 147 minutes of my life. I do not recommend it.
The daughter who has been holidaying in Turkey, Italy and London returns to NZ tonight. Flying up to the big city to see her week after next. Son has recently moved house and has phoned today to see if his dad can fix his bed, seems he cannot get the base to fit the antique bed frame since moving it. Lucky we are visiting them both, only three days, two nights but we are quite busy at work.
I love these silly poems as I too do not feel my age -
I hope this the last of them, it really is not a pleasant experience. I went through many earthquakes as a kid but somehow as a child you find it exhilarating, as an older wiser adult it is the feeling of lack of control over your environment that is so scary - the feeling of vulnerability.
Earthquake at 5.09 Sunday
Despite the earthquake the day has been beautiful weatherwise. Sunny and warm and so I took advantage of it to clean out the strawberry bed and add manure. I also bought three more fruit trees for the orchard.
I am listening to audio books - Ladies of Letters with Prunella Scales and Patricia Routledge. Penpals who are scathing of each other in such a "friendly" way.
Last night the other half and I went to see "The Great Gatsby" movie. I have no idea what the reviewers say about it, and I like a chick flick love story, however, it was one of the longest 147 minutes of my life. I do not recommend it.
The daughter who has been holidaying in Turkey, Italy and London returns to NZ tonight. Flying up to the big city to see her week after next. Son has recently moved house and has phoned today to see if his dad can fix his bed, seems he cannot get the base to fit the antique bed frame since moving it. Lucky we are visiting them both, only three days, two nights but we are quite busy at work.
I love these silly poems as I too do not feel my age -
My hat I wear with great aplomb
It makes me feel so bolder
For though I've passed the '50' mark
I don't feel any older
Than when I was a sweet young thing
Just barely out of my teens
And wearing out my platform shoes
And wide bell bottom jeans
But now I have a purple frock
It really is a shocker
All finished off with 'Big Red Hat'
With ostrich feather topper
I know the colours really clash
To me, it does not matter
I'm proud to say, I'm in the club
I'm a 50 plus 'Red Hatter'
It makes me feel so bolder
For though I've passed the '50' mark
I don't feel any older
Than when I was a sweet young thing
Just barely out of my teens
And wearing out my platform shoes
And wide bell bottom jeans
But now I have a purple frock
It really is a shocker
All finished off with 'Big Red Hat'
With ostrich feather topper
I know the colours really clash
To me, it does not matter
I'm proud to say, I'm in the club
I'm a 50 plus 'Red Hatter'
Marjorie Ramsay 2008
Red Hatter Poems

No comments:
Post a Comment