Sunday, June 9, 2013

I've Decided I Too Can Be An Eventful Woman - a Wairarapa Version

I am going to share some photos and moments with you from the trip in February on the Great British Car Rally from Auckland to Christchurch.  Organised by the British High Commission to commemorate two years since the fatal earthquake of Feb 22nd. Hubby was not at all interested when I first raised it but when he thought I meant I would take a girlfriend and drive his beloved mini cooper that I bought for him, it was too much, he was going and go he did.   And enjoy immensely he did, we both did.
The mini parked at Auckland's Domain the morning of departure.

Me standing beside a jag I think, not an expert in cars, not event an enthusiast just like a chance to get out and meet people.

The crowds turned out at every town we stopped. The High Commissioner and her staff had it all organised down to the smallest detail.

 Every day we had the hottest weather, 30+ day after day, it made it so much nicer to be able to wear light silk tops.
We had every british vehicle from the latest jags to the old one in the middle, an Issetta

At the end of the rally in Napier, day 3. The High Commissioner sadly got a ticket from the Police for speeding, she took it in good humour, I mean when you drive the latest jag your bound to let the foot get a bit heavy.

And of course there is no way you can pass Mangatainoka without stopping for a cold one. Tui of course.

My home town Masterton and it was reaching 34 degrees at midday. The cars stretched longer than the Main Street.

At Parliament for the official welcome.

 Whilst waiting for the ferry I tried one of the british cycles now imported and available here.
 The rally cars just went on and on, some had to catch early and later sailings at the preferred 2pm was booked out.

Breakfast at Blenheim winery

 And our last destination for the rally, Christchurch. The very modern and very effective mall developed from containers refurbished.
I would like to agree with the saying (lovely lady on the rally from Tauranga) but despite my loyalty to all things British you have to give it to the Japanese for reliability. In case you cannot read it says 
"If it ain't British it belongs on a bonfire."

After the conclusion of the rally hubby and I took another week and revisited the lower South Island.  The was our first trip over Wilmot Pass to Doubtless Sound. NZ really has many special places to visit and admire and retain for later Kiwis' to enjoy.



 And we took a leisurely trip on the old Earnslaw to see the refurbishment.
 Kayaking on the Wakatipu, we had a guide but he took the photo so out of shot. We had a 4 hour guided kayak trip which was perfect for my level of fitness and it was a still hot day.  We left early to make the most of the day and before it got too hot.
Riding the gondola to the top of Queenstown so we could take the zip line down. It is the worlds steepest tree to tree zip line and I was terrified but I had paid and I wasn't wasting my hard earned money. 

This was the easy part.



I often kept my eyes closed for most of the line. That moment you have to step of the platform hundreds of feet up a swaying tree   - ugggg.

This was two weeks that ended too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment