Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I've Been Busy

Well I have been to a Trust meeting and several inductions. Certainly have a lot to learn but it is a challenge I am up for.  I am particularly interested in how the earnings can be used to benefit our educational institutions and in turn our young people.

Last weekend was the Garden Tour sponsored by Pukaha Mount Bruce and of course they are the recipients of the proceeds. Again, they had a good number of country gardens on the tour and these are of special interest to me. 

Bumblebees were everywhere, big ones, small ones and medium size bumbles all busy pollinating flowers and fruits. I just love their sound and flitty habits.  I managed to capture a very small butterfly, monarch I think, on a beautiful peony rose.

We visited one garden that has gypsy caravans that are for rent. Mary the owner is very creative and has a flair for design, which was so apparent in her furnishings.


Are they not just most romantic accommodation you have seen? Beds in one van, bathroom in one end, kitchen in another. 


Outdoor dunny, but with style.


And the most relaxing outdoor bath with a fire under it. Don't forget the bubbles, they think of everything.

I loved the garden below with the endless box hedging.  I went to this property four years ago when it was just built and there was virtually no garden.  Now look at it.




Lyn clearly buys very mature buxus when developing the beds.  I love it but I would not like the endless clipping, when I was 10 years younger, but not now.

The last couple of days we have had the haymakers working on our land and the neighbouring sections.



It is now 8.30pm and they are really trying to get the job done. This is only 30 metres from my lounge, but oh so interesting.


Today was an interesting day locally.  I was one of many who were the audience at a public meeting hosted by the local district health board.  They were trying to reassure people that the local hospital will not close, however, they made it clear the services are to be rationalised between the three DHBs in the greater Wellington region. Surgery that may result in complications will be sent to a larger hospital and don't live to be over 85 years as your chances of care will be limited to medication and pastoral care. But the good news is there will be a stronger focus on preventative care and community nursing. The facts are there is simply not enough money.

We are to have a series of christmas events in our new town square. An opportunity for families to celebrate xmas together along with friends, neighbours, colleagues and anyone  else who happens to be there.  It has been a bit of an exercise getting the consents and funding has been a whole nightmare of its own. But we are now advertising for stallholders and buskers, we have a pretty full programme of performers. All part of the job and so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment